Recipe by Chef Mayer
Time: 35 min + 3 hours for the marinade
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian Herbs by A Spice Affair
- 1 tsp. Smoky Chipotle Seasoning by A Spice Affair
- ½ tsp. Ground Cumin by A Spice Affair
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper by A Spice Affair
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 650 g pork tenderloin or chicken, cut into 1/2-inch slices (can replace with tofu for a vegan version)
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- 8 tomatillos (green tomatoes; red or brown tomatoes can work)
- ½ to 1 tbsp Jalapeño Green Ground by A Spice Affair (depending on your heat preference)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 green onions, or half an onion
- The juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
Note: you may create a Tomatillo Red Salsa by replacing the Jalapeño Green with 1/2 tablespoon Jalapeño Red or Smoky Chipotle
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large white onion, cut into slices
- 1/2 pineapple, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 8 corn tortillas
- Lime wedge, to taste
For the meat or tofu
- Mix all the ingredients together and marinate for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
- In a pan, over medium heat, cook the meat or tofu for 5 to 10 minutes.
For the Salsa Verde
- In a pot, cover the tomatillos with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos with a slotted spoon.
- In a blender, add the cooked tomatillos (without water) with the rest of the ingredients and reduce to a purée.
**Note: you can create a Smoky Chipotle Salsa by replacing the Green Jalapeño with Smoky Chipotle seasoning.**
For the garnish
- Cook red peppers and onions in skillet over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil, about 3 to 6 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. In the same pan, heat your corn tortillas for about 1 minute on each side.
- Grill the pineapple until browned, then cut into small slices.
- Layer your tacos with meat, red peppers, onions, pineapple, avocado and cilantro. Top with Salsa Verde sauce.
** Note: a touch of Greek or vegan yogurt will add an extra dimension to the tacos **