Servings: 12 rolls
For the Dough
- 1 cup pumpkin purée, homemade
- 1 cup soy, almond or rice milk
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 1 packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus extra for rolling
- Canola oil, for greasing
For the Filling
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons A Spice Affair’s Pumpkin Spice or Apple Pie Spices
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- Dried cranberries, to taste
For the Icing
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water
For the Dough
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk together pumpkin purée, milk of choice, 1/2 cup sugar, margarine, and salt. Remove from heat and add vanilla, let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a measuring cup, put the warm water, the remaining tablespoon of sugar and the yeast. Stir quickly and set aside for 10 minutes. The yeast will become frothy, double in volume, and reach the 3/4 cup line.
- In a mixer, combine the pumpkin mixture and yeast mixture, and mix on medium speed for about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and add 2 1/2 cups flour. Mix until incorporated and add the remaining 2 ½ cups of flour. Beat for another 1 minute. The dough will be a little wet and sticky. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes by hand.
- Transfer the dough to a large, well-oiled bowl and rotate the dough ball so that it is completely covered with oil. Leave to rest for 1.5 hours in a warm place until doubled in size.
For Filling and Assembling the Rolls
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 20 x 13 inches. Brush melted margarine over entire surface of dough. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the dried cranberries over the brown sugar.
- Roll the dough evenly, long side facing you. With the seam side down, use a sharp knife to cut the log into 12 rolls. Place the rolls, cut side up, in the greased pan in 4 rows of 3 rolls per row, leaving a little space between them. Cover with a dry tea towel and place in a warm place in the kitchen until they have risen and set, about 1 hour.
- Once the cinnamon rolls have risen, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until the tops are lightly browned.
For the Glaze
- Let the rolls cool before applying the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, maple syrup and 1 tablespoon water at a time until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.