Recipe by Chef Deema Hajjawi
Preparation Time: 10 Min
Cooking Time: 45 Min
Servings: 8 to 10
2 Tbsp vegetables oil
1 1/2 Cups Red Lentil
1 Large Potato, chopped
1 Large Carrot, chopped
1 Onion, chopped finely
2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
3 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Mama’s Spices
2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
1 Pita bread (Arabic bread), cut into squares
1/2 Tsp Himalayan Pink Salt (or to taste)
1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper (or to taste)
- Brush pita bread squares with vegetable oil using a brush.
- Bake pita bread squares in a 180c degrees oven until toasted. Set aside to cool. (You can also deep-fry the bread)
- In oil, cook half the onion with minced garlic until tender and set aside.
- In the same oil, cook the remaining onion, potatoes, carrot and stir well.
- Add lentils and stir, then add chicken stock, Himalayan Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Ground Cumin and Mama’s Spices and let boil for at least 45 min.
- In a blender, process the soup until smooth and return to heat and let boil for another 2 to 3 min.
- Add the onion/garlic mix cooked earlier; this will add a special flavor to the soup.
- Garnish with baked pita bread squares, chopped parsley and serve hot.