Prep Time: 30 min, Cook time: 15 min
Total Time: 45 min
Servings: 30-32 Cigars
16 sheets phyllo pastry
500g ground lamb
1 tbsp olive oil + more for brushing
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp A Spice Affair’s Merguez Seasoning
¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped (or currants)
½ tsp A Spice Affair’s Cinnamon
¼ cup chopped mint and basil mix
½ lemon, zested
2 egg, whites
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking tray.
- Heat oil over low-medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and golden. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds). Increase heat and add lamb and cranberries. Break lamb apart and mix until cooked. Add cinnamon and merguez seasoning. Continue to cook until juices evaporate. Remove from heat and stir in mint and zest. Let cool.
- Place pastry sheet on work surface (cover rest with damp towel). Cut sheet widthwise for longer cigars or lengthwise for shorter.
- Lightly brush edges with egg whites. Spoon 2 tbsp of lamb mixture along bottom edge. Fold over a couple times then fold in sides. Roll tightly. Place on prepared tray. Repeat with rest.
- Brush with oil and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.