Prep Time: 1 hour, Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 1 hour 25 min
For the Chicken Marinade
½ kg chicken breasts or cubes
3 tbsp Greek yogurt
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp A Spice Affair’s Biryani Masala Seasoning
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt, to taste
2 cups basmati rice
2 tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil
½ tbsp A Spice Affair’s Biryani Masala Seasoning (or whole spices: 1 Bay Leaf, 4 Green Cardamom Pods, 6 Cloves, 1 pinch Cinnamon, 1 Star Anise, ¾ tsp Cumin)
1 onion, sliced
¼ cup Greek yogurt
¼ cup mint leaves, finely chopped, divided
1 green chili, chopped
1 ½ tsp A Spice Affair’s Biryani Masala Seasoning
3 cups boiled water (mixed with ¼ tsp salt)
1 pinch saffron or A Spice Affair's Safflower (optional)
Roasted cashews, for garnish (optional)
Raisins, for garnish (optional)
- In a bowl, add marinade ingredients except chicken. Stir until well combined. Taste and adjust salt and seasoning to your liking.
- Poke the chicken with the help of a knife, add it to the marinade, and mix until evenly coated. Let marinate in fridge for an hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, rinse basmati rice with cold water. Let it soak for 30 minutes then drain.
- Heat butter in a large deep pot over medium heat, then add ½ tablespoon Biryani Masala Seasoning and stir until fragrant. Add in the onions and fry until light golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover pot and cook chicken on low heat until cooked through. You may cut a piece to check if it’s fully cooked.
- Add the yogurt, half the mint leaves, green chili, and 1 ½ teaspoons Biryani Masala Seasoning. Combine well and line the chicken at the bottom of the pot.
- Pour drained uncooked rice over the chicken in the pot. Gently add 3 cups salted boiled water around the inner contour of the pot and top with the remaining mint leaves and saffron if using.
- Cover pot and cook over medium heat until the rice is well cooked but not overly soft. If the rice is undercooked and there’s no water, add ¼ to ½ cup of boiling water and cook more.
- Serve rice with chicken and top with cashews and raisins if you'd like. Serve with a side of Greek yogurt and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Share your culinary creations on social media and tag us!
IG: @ASpiceAffair | FB: @ASpiceAffairOfficial | #MySpiceAffair