An adaptation of Jenn Segal’s recipe from Once Upon a Chef
Time: 40 min + overnight marinade
For the Chicken Skewers
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey or raw brown sugar
- Zest of one lime
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp A Spice Affair’s Thai 7 Spices
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 5 kg boneless chicken breasts, cubed
For the Coconut-Peanut Sauce
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (385ml)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp A Spice Affair’s Thai 7 Spices
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, from 2 limes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cilantro leaves
- Rice or Cucumber Salad (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey (or brown sugar), lime zest, vegetable oil, garlic, A Spice Affair’s Thai 7 Spices and Pink Himalayan Salt. Add the chicken cubes and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the sauce by mixing all ingredients (except the fresh lime juice). Bring to a simmer and keep stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add the lime juice and set aside.
- Assemble the brochettes by threading the chicken cubes onto the skewers.
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Place the skewers on the hot, oiled grill and close the lid. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, turning them twice during cooking, until the inside of the meat has lost its pink colour. Serve with the coconut-peanut sauce, lime and rice or cucumber salad if desired.