Recipe by Chef Deema Hajjawi
For the Dough
1 cup warm milk
1 tbsp yeast
½ tbsp sugar
4 cups flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup Greek yogourt
½ cup olive oil
For the Roasted Garlic Seasoning
1 head of roasted garlic
1 tsp A Spice Affair's Everything Bagel
1 tsp Chef Deema's Everything Italian Herbs or A Spice Affair's Bruschetta Herbs
1 tsp A Spice Affair's Smoked Paprika
Salt and Pepper
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until the yeast becomes foamy and activates.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, Greek yogurt, and olive oil. Stir in the activated yeast mixture.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1.5-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- In a small bowl, mash the roasted garlic cloves with butter, olive oil, Everything Bagel Seasoning, Italian herbs, Smoked Paprika, Salt, and Pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Transfer it to a floured surface and roll into a rectangular shape.
- Cut the dough into 3 equal ropes keeping them connected on one end. Begin braiding the ropes, crossing the left rope over the middle rope, then the right rope over the new middle rope. Repeat this process until you reach the end of the ropes. Pinch the bottom ends together to secure the braid.
- Transfer braided bread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the braided bread with roasted garlic seasoning. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top. Cover with parchment paper and towel and let rest for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake bread for 25-30 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.