Time: 50 mins + 8 hours to soak chickpeas
For the Falafel
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (soak them in water overnight)
- ½ tsp baking soda (optional)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 3/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt by A Spice Affair
- 2 tbsp Falafel Seasoning by A Spice Affair
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil
For the Tahini Sauce
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¾ cup tahini
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice, if you prefer)
- ¼ cup cold water, more if needed
- Salt, to taste
For the Bowl
- Mixed salad (lettuce, arugula, kale, spinach, red cabbage, mung bean sprouts)
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Parsley, roughly chopped
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Hummus (optional)
- In a bowl, soak chickpeas and baking soda with water and leave them overnight. Drain chickpeas and pat dry.
- Add all falafel ingredients (except oil and baking powder) in a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes sandy and pasty. Do not over process, the paste should be chunky.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Once the mixture is cold, it will stick together better. You can then add the baking powder into the mixture and stir until well combined.
- With the help of a scoop or your hands, create golf-sized balls and place them over a baking sheet. If you choose to bake your falafel instead of frying them, flatten the ball with the palm of your hands so that it cooks well.
Cook the Falafel
Option 1 | Deep Fry: Fill a deep-frying pot with enough oil to cover around 10 falafels at a time. Heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully add the Falafel balls and fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. With the help of a strainer spoon, transfer the balls to a plate lined with paper towel.
Option 2 | Bake: Preheat your oven to 425F. Brush the bottom of a baking sheet with oil and line up the falafel balls. Brush the top of the falafel balls with oil and cook in the over for 15 minutes. Take out the baking sheet and flip the Falafel to the other side. Bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Assemble in a bowl starting with mixed salad, tomato, cucumber, avocado and falafel. Top with a scoop of hummus, and garnish with pumpkin or sunﬂower seeds and tahini dressing.