Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 3h 30 min
For the Birria
1,800g chuck roast, cut into 4 large chunks
900g short or back ribs, bone in (may use any cut of meat, or only beef bone for the broth)
1 large white onion, peeled and cut in half
1 garlic bulb, cut the narrow top off, no need to peel
1 carrot, cut in 4 pieces
7-8 cups hot water
3 tbsp chicken bouillon
3 tsp A Spice Affair’s Guajillo Chili Flakes, or to taste
1 ¼ tbsp A Spice Affair’s Mexican Birria Seasoning
1 tsp A Spice Affair’s Pink Himalayan Salt, or to taste
For the Tacos
Flour or corn Tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, add the meat, beef bone, onion, garlic, carrot and top with hot water.
- Add in the chicken bouillon and A Spice Affair seasonings. Stir well to combine then bring to a boil.
- After 30 minutes, you’ll find foam floating at the top of the pot. You may remove with the help of a spoon.
- Cover the pot and let simmer on low heat for 3 hours or until the meat is super tender. Check the pot every 30 minutes and stir. Once done, skim the grease from the top with the help of a spoon and set aside.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste and remove the onion, garlic, and carrots from the broth.
- Cut the meat into chunks and discard the bones. Serve as a stew or as tacos.
For a Mexican Birria Stew
- Add chunks of meat in a bowl and top with broth, chopped onions and cilantro. Squeeze in some lime and enjoy!
For Mexican Birria Tacos
- Cut the meat into very small pieces.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat.
- Using the broth grease that was set aside earlier, brush some on the tortilla and layer with meat chunks and cheese.
- Heat the tortilla by folding it in half. Press down with the help of a spoon and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden crispy. Flip the taco and cook on the other side.
- Serve hot with chopped onions and cilantro and dip in broth sauce! Miam!
Share your culinary creations on social media and tag us!
IG: @ASpiceAffair | FB: @ASpiceAffairOfficial | #MySpiceAffair