At A Spice Affair, we use basil in everything from tasty pesto to our favorite tomato arrabiata sauce. It's a must-have in every kitchen! It is one of the most popular plant in herb gardening around the globe! Ancient Civilization has also been using this herb for thousands of years.
For the LOVE of basil, here's 6 fun facts!
Did you know?
- Basil is native to tropical Asia and belongs to the mint family.
- The term ‘basil,’ has it origins in the word ‘basileus’, and when translated from Greek means ‘king’.
- In addition to its culinary uses, basil is also used in perfumes, soaps, shampoos and dental preparations.
- The Hindi would put a basil leaf on the chest of the dead as a passport to the paradise.
- Basil is extremely high in vitamin K, and is good source of manganese, and vitamin A.
- It is recommended in Herbals for the relief of dysentery, gas pains, nausea, and as a cure for worms and worts.